projects | blog

[all the things] [rss]

July 4, 2022 9:48 AM

COVID, part 2

I was feeling pretty good on Saturday. My fever went down, and I was able to get out for a couple of walks. When I got back to the room, I started working on more code for my mobile app, which went okay at first, but I was feeling worse over time and decided I needed some sleep.

Sleep was really rough. I was waking up every hour to pee, and my nose was getting more stuffed as the night went on. At around 5am, I texted Dan and asked him to go look for some medicine for me because I was feeling desperate. He found some Afrin nasal spray, and man, that stuff works fast. Apparently you're not supposed to use that for more than 3 days, or you might become dependent on it.

After waking up and having breakfast on Sunday, I decided to try to get back to the mobile app stuff. I was finally successful in being able to upload gifs, but in the process, I ended up breaking the functionality that made photos oriented correctly. Turns out that the old (deprecated) library I was using for creating a "Bitmap" object didn't auto-rotate images, but the new library I switched to was smarter. So I could delete a bunch of code.

After doing that, I wanted to see if I could replace more deprecated code, but I quickly started feeling worse again and then I concluded that I really should not be looking at code while I'm trying to recover from COVID.

I think I felt worse on Sunday than I did on Saturday because of the poor sleep I got. I tried to take a nap during the day, but I wasn't able to because of my nasal congestion. I ended up pacing in the room because it made my nose feel better.

At around 3pm, I figured there was no way I was getting a nap in, so I decided to take a walk outside. Even though it was way too hot and sunny, I finally felt like I was feeling a little better. It was really good to breathe in the fresh air and move my legs more.

I had an early dinner outside. My family was outside too, and my cousin and I sat at one corner of the pool to keep our distance. It was nice to be there and laugh and watch my uncle beat everyone at cornhole. I also took a walk with Dan once it got cooler, and my nose was feeling much better while I was walking.

Of course my nose decided to be stuffed again right before I went to bed (even though I took Sudafed earlier that day). I was able to sleep a little better though. I still woke up several times in the middle of the night, and then I started coughing a lot, so I took Mucinex for that.

I don't know, my symptoms seem to keep changing each day, but I guess that's just like other colds I've had in my life. I'm hoping today is better!